Alexandra “Ali” McCormick is a new Audiology graduate and recipient of this year’s Outstanding Audiology Student Clinician Award from the Colorado Hearing Foundation. She shares about her path to pursue audiology, key takeaways from her time in the program and her favorite memory at Carolina.

What made you decide to pursue Audiology?

I was first introduced to the field of audiology as a kid when I attended a “bring your kids to work day” with my Aunt, Dr. Tammy Kordas, who is an audiologist at Syracuse University. It wasn’t until much later when I picked up a minor in audiology during my undergraduate studies that I really fell in love with the  field and all of the different possibilities.

What are some of the most valuable lessons learned in the AuD program that you’ll take with you?
One of the most valuable lessons I learned at UNC was the importance of having a strong community. Moving to a new state and starting a doctoral program is incredibly difficult and I know that I couldn’t have done it without the support of my family as well as all the great friends I made in the program.

What are your future plans/career goals?
My next steps are to move back home to New York where I’ve accepted a job working in a hospital setting with a lifespan patient population. I am also looking forward to joining my state audiology organization to get involved with advocacy.

What is your favorite Carolina memory?
My favorite memory of my time at UNC was watching the Final Four game against Duke on Franklin Street with my class. Coming from a small undergraduate school with limited sports, it was a lot of fun to be a part of the excitement and camaraderie.

The Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences sends each graduate into their field knowing they will make a considerable impact on their community. If you are an alumnus of one of our programs and would like to share your achievements, please get in touch.