Uzay E. Emir, PhD, sat to discuss his research, how being an academic was in his career path even as a little kid, and his belief that there are no stupid questions. Dr. Emir, is an Associate Professor in the UNC Department of Radiology with a joint appointment in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. Director of MRI physics at the BRIC. He received a PhD from Bogazici University, Turkey.

Having completed his Ph.D., in which he studied BOLD fMRI signal transients with different imaging modalities, he broadened his scientific expertise further by undertaking postdoctoral training in the related but distinct field of MRS methods. He sought to utilize MR imaging and MR spectroscopy (MRS) to identify biomarkers for various neurodegenerative diseases. During his postdoctoral training at the Center for Magnetic Resonance Research, University of Minnesota, he developed advanced 3 and 7 Tesla MRS sequences recommended by the Experts’ Working Group on Advanced Single Voxel MRS. Dr. Emir undertook the first studies to quantify neurochemical profiles from various brain regions at 7T, focusing on metabolites of interest in neurological disorders. He also applied those methods to the preclinical scanner to detect neurochemical changes before overt pathology in a mouse model of spinocerebellar ataxia type 1. During his role as the Principal Investigator at the University of Oxford and Assistant Professor at Purdue University, his efforts resulted in many advancements in the field of the MRI and MRSI, such as developing density-weighted concentric ring trajectory, a novel ultra-short echo time 3D Rosette MRI and MRSI technique.

Can you provide background on your research?

The story starts from undergrad. I’m an electrical engineer in principle. While doing my undergrad, I did a senior project, and I tried to expose myself to biomedical signals and how to process electrocardiographic signals and EMG. I like measuring things non-invasively for improvement. This translated to doing a biomedical engineering master’s degree and a PhD in Turkey.

During my PhD and master’s degree, I focused on minimally invasive biomedical signal detection. One method I explored is near-infrared spectroscopy, which involves shining light on the body to detect signals, providing information about oxygenated and deoxygenated hemoglobin. I consider both the advantages and disadvantages of this approach and strive to maintain objectivity by looking at the problem from different perspectives. This allows me to identify ways to enhance the accuracy of my measurements. Additionally, I delved into the field of MRI during my PhD, specifically working on functional MRI Brain Imaging activities. This research was particularly relevant as the near-infrared spectroscopy device I developed for my master’s degree also serves as a brain imaging tool.

Throughout my research journey, I strive to add new tools, skills, and knowledge to my arsenal. I consistently gather different methods and assess their feasibility, aiming to build a comprehensive understanding as I progress. I thrive on novelty and taking risks, particularly when exploring new imaging technologies. During my PhD, functional MRI was relatively unknown in Turkey. To bridge this gap, I contacted renowned scientists, including Kamil Ugurbil at the University of Minnesota, Peter Bandettini at NIH, and Kamil Uludag at Max Planck Institute.

After I finished my studies, I took a postdoc position at the research center at the University of Minnesota. At the time, they had the only ultra-high field scanners, specifically 7-tesla and higher. They continue to be leaders in MRI research, pushing the boundaries of what’s achievable. While there, I focused on learning spectroscopy using MRI to measure metabolites. While MRI provides structural images, metabolites change before structural changes occur, making it crucial to use sensitive measurements to capture these changes. The idea is that we can intervene early by capturing metabolic changes before structural deformations happen. I worked with exceptional scientists, Gulin Oz, Ivan Tkac and Melissa Terpstra, learn cutting-edge technology, push boundaries, and undergo postdoctoral training.

After completing five years of valuable experience and collaboration, I felt prepared for my next challenge. I seized the opportunity to lead the MR Spectroscopy research at the University of Oxford, where I assumed the role of lead scientist in this field. I have been overseeing all technical aspects of the in vivo MRS program at the FMRIB Centre. Significant developments and improvements have facilitated successful neuroscientific studies across various departments, including studying the neurochemical basis of brain plasticity, developing methods for profiling psychiatric disorders and psychoactive drug discovery, and neurochemical profiling of brain cancer. I have established a strong research portfolio and continue collaborating with my colleagues at the University of Oxford.

Afterward, I felt prepared for a new challenge and pursued an academic role at Purdue University as an assistant professor. I adjusted my focus to bring more depth to my research. I was driven to generate fresh ideas, pose new questions, and uncover solutions that could potentially benefit patients.

Upon starting at Purdue, I encountered fresh obstacles, which prompted me to construct a new research portfolio. The main objective was to explore how to connect spectroscopy and imaging. Traditionally, the field has viewed imaging and spectroscopy as distinct disciplines. However, this perception is inaccurate. We can obtain valuable insights from bulk measurements by employing the appropriate methods. As a result, we developed a data acquisition technique to enable both spectroscopy and imaging.

My research involves using the same technique that works on the human scanner and can also work on the animal scanner for integrated research. You can incorporate preclinical diagnostic imaging research into clinical diagnostic imaging research with the same acquisition technique, producing similar superior-quality images. All those efforts finally paid off with a Wellcome Trust grant led by Zoe Kourtzi from the University of Cambridge. This work across species and scales (from neurons to brain networks) will advance understanding of the fundamental mechanisms of learning and brain plasticity, with the potential for translation to neurodevelopmental and psychiatric disorders related to disruption of inhibition in brain networks.

I plan to establish this research at UNC. This effort has many applications ranging from dynamic structural imaging to metabolic imaging with different nuclei such as hydrogen, sodium, phosphorous, etc. I am moving to UNC because this development requires great clinical collaborations and applications. I needed to be physically present for the imaging and work alongside hospital counterparts for the most effective outcome. It has been the missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle.

Why choose the path to an academic career?

Another way to describe myself is similar to Tinker Bell. (I have two young girls and watch quite a few animated movies.) I enjoy problem-solving. That’s why I always tell my colleagues not to ask me if something is feasible; I can’t say no. I believe that everything is achievable if you invest enough time. If you bring that question to me, it will swallow the rest of my day because I will ruminate and obsess over the question to solve the problem.

In my laboratory, I read a poem by the Turkish poet Nazim Hikmet Ran daily. It reminds me why I chose my current life path.

Living is no laughing matter:
you must live with great seriousness
like a squirrel, for example–
I mean without looking for something beyond and above living,
I mean living must be your whole occupation.
Living is no laughing matter:
you must take it seriously,
so much so and to such a degree
that, for example, your hands tied behind your back,
your back to the wall,
or else in a laboratory
in your white coat and safety glasses,
you can die for people–
even for people whose faces you’ve never seen,
even though you know living
is the most real, the most beautiful thing.
I mean, you must take living so seriously
that even at seventy, for example, you’ll plant olive trees–
and not for your children, either,
but because although you fear death you don’t believe it,
because living, I mean, weighs heavier.

From Poems of Nazim Hikmet Ran, translated by Randy Blasing and Mutlu Konuk

That is the reason I like academia. Even though I don’t see the benefits of my actions, the more significant impact will happen long after I am gone. That gives me happiness. At the end of the day, my purpose is to try my best, to push the limits even though I don’t know whether it will work. But at least someone will benefit. At least someone will get an olive from that olive tree, even though you are planting it at the age of 70 and knowing that it will not flourish until you are long gone from this earth.

Anyone who comes to my lab does not necessarily have to be the best, but they need to have the intention to achieve their best. Motivation is key. I am here to teach you what is necessary, but as long as you have intention, you can accomplish anything.

What is some advice for people who want to work in radiological or biomedical research?

My advice is: don’t limit yourself. Whether you are 50 or 20 years old, it doesn’t matter. Everyone has the time to find the right path for themselves. Once you find what you like, the sky’s the limit. I am here to help you relieve some of the burden. If these thoughts resonate with you, you can reach toward the untouched regions of the universe. If this doesn’t resonate, knowing it’s not your thing as early as possible is good. Skills are essential, but desire, ambition, and drive are more important.

What is one thing you would like them to know before they meet you?

I am a problem solver. My colleagues can come to me with a problem, and I will answer their call. I want to be the bridge between advanced technology and clinical applications. I can understand the clinical and research environments and help them speak the same language. I can quickly get things working for both ends, and it’s a collaborative effort. I will address their question of whether it is feasible. If it is doable, I will figure out how we will do it.

What profession did you want to be when you were a kid?

In elementary school, a teacher told me I could only become an academician because he believed I was afraid of the future. This judgment was based on my tendency to ask many questions, even inappropriate ones. If something bothered me, I would always ask about it. This prediction by the teacher ended up becoming a part of my identity.

For students who join my lab, asking questions is the most important thing they can do. They need to feel comfortable asking any question, as there are no stupid questions. Questions are valuable, and creating an environment where everyone feels free to ask anything is essential.